Last year Thankful Thursday was a regular post through November and December to refocus while preparing for the holiday season. Gratitude is something I try to practice every day anyway - but especially during a time of year which can quickly become about take, take, take instead of give, give, give.
I'm starting early this year because I've already got some things I'm so thankful for and want to share that I don't want to wait until November! So here it is - the first Thankful Thursday for this fall!
- I am so thankful for the 4-H here in Colorado. I was never in 4-H as a kid, though in hindsight I rather wish I were, but I was a city kid who did scouts and didn't learn about 4-H until 8th grade. In any case, I was trying to find some more quick agricultural science-based activities for my after school science enrichment program at the library. I had not one, but two, 4-H reps answer the call with speed that just boggles the mind and within 48 hours was able to speak with both of them over the phone to pick their brains and learn about other resources I'd never even known about! These wonderful ladies were truly a blessing to me this week.
- I am so thankful to work in a job where I get to meet and help all strata of society. Just some instances from this past week - helping a family in poverty find quality books for their children for free at the library because they can't afford to buy their own. Helping an elderly woman find a perfect picture book about sail boats for her 6 year old great-grandson who is visiting soon from Maryland. Helping a transgendered patron get information on building a resume and being able to connect him to our resume workshop the library is putting on soon. Helping Mormon missionaries get access to the internet while they are in the area. That's just this week - every day though I get to help people in my community, especially families, find resources they need. Every day I get to share the love and grace of Christ through action - what a blessing!
- I am so thankful for a job where the other ladies I work with are so talented and can cover for me in a pinch when I'm sick or out of town so that our community always gets great service. Where I earn plenty of vacation time too so that I don't have to feel like I'm leaving a whole team hanging when I take a break from work for a little while to rejuvenate. And where I get paid well enough that I can pay for vacations and also not be so stressed about paying my living expenses that I can come to work and truly give it my all each day. All that and still be able to pay off my debts and put some aside in savings to boot.
- I am so thankful to live in the mountains. To see the glory of God's creation all around me each and every day. To see the seasons change and witness for myself the quaking aspen clap for joy and the mountains and hills shout His praise.
- I am so thankful for fall. For the harvest, the cooler temperatures, for hearty food, warm sweaters, fuzzy slippers and hockey. I'm thankful to be able to watch my teams play well and to be lead by men of character, a rarity these days to be sure.
I am beyond blessed!
What are you thankful for in your life today, this week, this year? What miracles have you seen? If you're in need of prayer please share your prayer requests as well so that we can join with you as prayer warriors!